Ice Skating is a wonderful winter tradition and fun form of exercise that people of all ages can enjoy. Nevertheless, a lack of safety and awareness can easily lead to serious injury from breaks to sprains to head trauma.
Thankfully, sports injury from ice skating can be easily prevented with a few easy steps.
- Have blades professionally sharpened before each skating session
- Skate only on specially prepared skating rinks that are guaranteed to withstand your weight. Areas such as frozen lakes and ponds may have weak areas that can break under pressure.
- Wear comfortable skates that have enough ankle support to keep you on your feet
- Always check for cracks, holes, debris, and puddles on ice to avoid slips and falls
- Keep aware of your surroundings to ensure the safety of yourself and other skaters
AFC Urgent Care in South Plainfield provides diagnosis and treatment for a variety of acute injuries including breaks, sprains, and strains from winter sports. Visit us during our convenient, extended hours seven days a week for urgent care: Monday- Friday from 8 am to 8 pm and weekends from 8 am to 5 pm.